Traffic and Transport
Navigate Up
Sign In
We've started building a new website. Come and have a look!

Roadside Maintenance

Image for the Roadside Maintenance page.
This page contains information about maintenance of roadside verges, trees and weeds.
Updated: 17/06/2019 3:01 p.m.

Mowing verges

We don't undertake any mowing of verges in the urban area and we rely on property owners to maintain their roadside frontages.

We do undertake some mowing in rural areas to improve visibility at intersections and where sighting distances are limited.

Roadside verges that are adjacent to Council reserves are mowed by contractors on our behalf.

Noxious weed control

Our noxious weed management plan for the road verges in the district focuses on the control of wild ginger, privet and broom through a spray programme.

Pampas and gorse occurring in isolated patches are also treated by spot-spraying for visibility reasons or where they are interspersed with other noxious weeds.

Where we have implemented our weed control programme, owners of properties next to the road are required to maintain a 10 metre wide strip of land free of these plants inside each property.

Northland Regional Council has a series of action plans that describe how they control animal and plant pests.

For further information, follow the link below.

Pest Management Strategies (Northland Regional Council website) Opens in a new window.

Roadside weed spraying

Our maintenance of road frontages includes an annual weed spray programme of a 200mm strip along the road seal edge if the frontage is maintained by the property owner.

If the owner does not maintain the frontage, the spray strip is two metres.

Spraying of rural sealed roads is undertaken over three periods; during September to October, January to February and April to May.

Unsealed roads are sprayed at the same time, with the exception of the January to February period.

These spray periods are adjusted to suit growth and weather conditions.

If you don't want weed sprays applied to the frontage of your property, please contact us to obtain an agreement to maintain the frontage.

Cultivation of roadside verges

You will need a permit if you want to establish gardens or plant trees etc on roadside verges.

Follow the link below to view the guidelines, criteria and conditions.

Street cleaning

We employ contractors to regularly remove rubbish from the kerbs and drainage channels in the urban areas of the city.

There are three zones, each having a different cleaning frequency.

  • Zone 1: Central Business District (CBD), roads are swept weekly
  • Zone 2: the main arterial roads are swept monthly
  • Zone 3: the balance of the roads, mainly in the residential areas are swept every three months.

Some specific areas have been identified that require additional cleaning for a period of eight weeks of the year during autumn.



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.